Shane Albritton and Norman Lee of RE:site Studio, From Absence to Presence, The Commemorative to Enslaved Peoples of Southern
Maryland, 2020, St. Mary's College of Maryland. Photograph by Renée Ater
In Focused Essays, we have provided short essays on definitions and concepts related to sculpture and monuments as well as pieces on larger themes such as representation.
Currently, the essays include the following:
- What is sculpture? (forthcoming)
- What is a monument?
- What are the terms related to sculpture and monuments?
- What are the materials of sculpture and monuments? (forthcoming)
- What is the difference between modeling, carving, casting, and assembling?
- What are the parts of a monument?
- What is the difference between figurative and abstract sculpture?
- What is representation?
- How are contemporary artists rethinking monuments? (forthcoming)
Use the right-hand menu bar to navigate to the exhibit pages.
Written by Renée Ater and Grace Yasumura