Front of "slave pen," Alexandria, Va.

11746v.jpg

Dublin Core

Title

Front of "slave pen," Alexandria, Va.

Subject

Subject (Topic)
Slave quarters--Virginia--Alexandria--1860-1870  Buildings--Virginia--Alexandria--1860-1870
United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Military personnel--Union"

Description

The photograph depicts a Union army guard and other men in front of a building, whose painted signage reads "Price, Birch & Co., dealers in slaves." The building stands at 1315 Duke St., Alexandria, VA. The premises were previously owned by the slave-trading firm Franklin & Armfield. The Union army used the former slave jail to house Confederate prisoners.

Creator

Russell, Andrew J.

Source

Library of Congress

Date

Created between 1861 and 1865

Rights

Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, DC 20540, United States

Format

JPEG

Language

English

Type

Documents and Published Materials

Identifier

Medium

Albumen print

Bibliographic Citation

Russell, Andrew J, photographer. Front of "slave pen," Alexandria, Va. Alexandria United States Virginia, None. [Between 1861 and 1865] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/2006683273/.

Rights Holder

Renée Ater

Citation

Russell, Andrew J., “Front of "slave pen," Alexandria, Va.,” Contemporary Monuments to the Slave Past, accessed December 16, 2019, http://slaverymonuments.org/items/show/1177.

Item Relations

This item has no relations.